Red Wine Poached Pear Cake
I put poached pears in this cake to be bougie (and I had leftover wine), but the cake works smashingly well with all fresh and frozen fruits too.
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1¼ cups sugar, divided
- 2 large eggs
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⅓ cups all-purpose flour
- 1¼ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Fruit / Red wine poached pears
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 9-inch cast-iron skillet with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and 1 cup sugar with a mixer at medium speed until fluffy, 5 to 7 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with sour cream, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition. Fold in fruit. Spread batter in prepared skillet. Sprinkle with remaining ¼ cup sugar.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack.